Monday 4 April 2016

A houndstooth Coco dress

One of my favourite patterns, Coco by Tilly Walnes of Tilly and the Buttons, is a quick and easy make for stretch fabrics.  I have made a couple of sleeveless versions previously (as yet unblogged), but this time I actually managed to buy enough ponte roma to make a version with sleeves!  This houndstooth ponte roma is lovely and soft.  I can't remember where I got it from - possibly Minerva Crafts.

I used my overlocker (utilising my new found overlocker skills!), and so the whole thing came together really quickly.  I included the funnel neckline and cuffs on the sleeves.

Funnel collar - and look at the pattern matching!

Inside the sleeve

Overlocked and straight stitched hem

 I cut a 3 at the bust and waist, grading out to a 5 at the hips, and it is an easy fitting fairly smart dress for work.  It's also super comfy.  I suppose I could have cut a size 2 at the shoulders and waist, but as I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 3 at the bust, and I am far too much of a lazy sewer to grade in and out and in and out, I can deal with it as it is.

Houndstooth Coco dress

If you haven't yet tried sewing a Coco dress - why not?!  It's a really easy dress to sew, and can be sewn on a normal sewing machine (my first two were both sewn on my basic Brother sewing machine).  Hop over to Tilly and the Buttons, and snap up a copy of the Coco pattern.  You won't regret it!  The instructions are really clear and easy to follow, so if you don't have much dressmaking experience, you don't need to worry.

I love the quick makes that offer almost instant gratification.  What's your favourite instant pattern fix?


No comments: