Saturday 9 May 2015

A cheeky hour on Goldhawk Road

Flamingo madness!

So I was down in London for a business lunch recently, and after it had finished I had a few hours to kill before my train, so I jumped on the tube and took a trip to Goldhawk Road.  Having heard so much about this magical place on other blogs, I knew I had to visit myself.

For those of you who don't know, Goldhawk Road is a bit of a fabric haven - you really can get almost every type and colour of fabric imaginable.  It's really easy to get to by tube - it has its own station, served by both Hammersmith & City and Circle lines.

There is a whole row of about ten fabric shops, some really cheap, others quite expensive, depending on the type of fabric and notions they sell.  I nabbed the above flamingo cotton whilst there, from Toni Textiles.  The sales team were great fun, and as soon as they learnt that I love flamingos, one of the guys started bringing me various bolts of fabric in different colourways and patterns.  However, I was firm, and just came away with three metres of this lovely cotton.  I think I'd like to make a dress out of it, but as we all know, best laid plans and all that.  But at least it will look pretty draped on my ironing board....

Jamie Oliver silk for Liberty


I also went into Classic Textiles, where, amongst other bits and pieces, bought one metre of this funky Liberty silk, designed back in 2013 by Jamie Oliver, of all people.  I love the colours, and thought it would make a cute scarf.

I curbed my stash enhancement duties at this point, as three metres of quilting weight cotton is quite heavy when you're lugging it around London on the tube.  I will definitely make another trip to Goldhawk Road, when I've got more time and probably a pull along trolley on wheels!


No comments: